[rollei_list] Re: Lachaize - MECILA Mag 150 for Rolleiflex TLR

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 19:44:06 -0300 (ART)

I think the only similarity is that both magazines
look bulky like camera backs. The Lachaize magazine
looks very complex in comparison with the 70mm
magazine, the Lachaize Magazine has a lot of little
rollers, two big rollers, internal separations, doors,
levers etc. to allow to open the magazine without to
harm the exposed and not exposed film to cut the film
when you wished to do it. I think one of the main
differences is that the Lachaize magazine works fine
with the Rollei TLR film guidance and no problem with
the film focal plane.
The 70mm magazine was evidently designed to take a lot
of exposures too but only using 70mm perforated film,
the problem was the Rollei TLR film guidance is 69.8
to 69.9mm broad and then the film was curved 0.5mm
towards the lens affecting the film focal plane and
then the image sharpness, this magazine (developed in
1964) was shown in Brausnschweig and it was not
approved for this reason, anyway some magazines were
manufactured and used.The 70mm film magazine has only
two big rollers and looks very simple -however elegant
and smaller- in comparison with the Lachaize 150 Mag.

All the best
Carlos

--- John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> Thank you Richard, that is really useful; it is
> developing into a most
> interesting subject.
>
>          - I thought it was about time there was
> something 'to get your
> teeth into' ;-) ;-)
>
> Is there any similarity between this back and the
> American 70mm magizine
> made by Cine Mechanics Los Angelesmentioned by
> Carlos?
>
> Regards
>
> John
>

>     I got curious and searched Google Patents for
> Paul Lachaize, I found
> three patents, issued to him, one of which, USP
> 2,819,663, is for the
> adaptor back for long rolls. The patent includes 8
> pages of drawings
> that make the construction and operation pretty
> clear. The camera shown
> in the drawings is obviously a Rolleiflex.
>
> ---
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles, CA, USA
> dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx