[rollei_list] Re: Just film

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 01:17:51 -0700

On 5/23/05 9:03 PM, "dnygr" <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx> typed:

> I don't think it is far-fetched to say that we may be the last generation that
> will have a box of photos to pass on to future generations.
>
> I fear that digital will replace film to the extent that most people will take
> digital photos of their families. The photos will be stored on devices that
> will become obsolete, hard disks will fail, and with them the documents will
> cease to exist. It may all be the cost of progress.
>
> Doug Nygren

I feel the direct opposite of what you're saying here to be true

My grandparents and parents threw away negatives because someone told them
you can just as easily make a print from a print.
Restoring those old snapshots is quite a deal. Fun actually but a worthwhile
challenge. And making a big inkjet out of them is like seeing them for the
first time anyway.
You do actually feel like you're working from an original negative
sometimes.

I think the images we pass down digitally now, I both shoot but film and
work from their scans and make digital captures, will not be lost or made
too obsolete to open.
They will be in 100 percent perfect condition in the year 2525.
100 percent.
Sure a few people will screw up.
But a photo legacy now is a whole new deal digitally.
Digital has it's distractions but this aspect of it is a solid positive.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/