[rollei_list] Re: Just film

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 00:49:24 -0400

On 24-May-05, at 12:03 AM, dnygr wrote:

> I don't think it is far-fetched to say that we may be the last
> generation that will have a box of photos to pass on to future
> generations.
>
> I fear that digital will replace film to the extent that most
> people will take digital photos of their families. The photos will
> be stored on devices that will become obsolete, hard disks will
> fail, and with them the documents will cease to exist. It may all
> be the cost of progress.

Well, I don't think printed photos will cease to exist. People will
probably still want to frame photos and put them up on their walls.
But the photograph will probably be taken with a digital camera.

BTW: hard disks failing or becoming obsolete doesn't necessarily mean
loss of the DATA they carry (including the pictures). There IS such a
thing as backup, you know!

Cheers.