[rollei_list] Re: Jupiter Optics from Mr. Zeiss???

  • From: TrueBadger@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:36:29 EST

In a message dated 3/30/2005 1:25:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
peterk727@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> Jupiter lens on a Leica? Ugh! Marc, Carl and Ernst are rolling in
> their graves after you typed this. The only reason to use the archaic
> Leica M is to use take advantage of the M optics. Other than that
> there is little reason. Even SLRs these days are as small.

I could not disagree more. While I see no reason to use other than Leitz
lenses on an M, the camera has other merits that I have not found elsewhere.

These are:

The rangefinder/viewfinder quality, including the ability to see what is
outside the frame as well as within it while tripping the shutter. And the much
more precise ascertainment of the plane of most critical focus with normal and
short lenses.

The ergonomics

The silence.

The few milliseconds less delay between pressing the shutter and the actual
exposure of the frame. (no mirror latency, no latency for automatic stop-down).

G. King