[rollei_list] Re: Items FS 29 MAY 2009 CD's, Books, etc.

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 13:56:38 -0500

At 01:56 AM 5/31/2009, you wrote:
At 12:54 AM 5/30/2009, Don Williams wrote:

O.K. I give up, what's a "donkey's year"?

In the US, a "donkey's year" is an indefinite span of years, of some duration. Five or ten or fifteen years. I am surprised that you had not heard it. Oh, wait. Perhaps it as an Appalachian Mountain expression? Hmm. There just was a British sage show with that name ....

In any event, Don, though we've never met, we've been friends for donkey's years.

True indeed.

I was pretty sure that a "donkey's year" was some reasonable period of time, and longer than our calendar year because most donkeys move slowly. (There is even a joke, to be told with a Mexican accent, about a native moving a part of the donkey's anatomy to answer a question asked by a tourist. I don't remember it precisely but if you don't remember it I can send it off list as best as I can remember.)

Now here is a real one for you, one that has never been answered, even thought I have been asking it for a long time. (Strange, I have to use the un-defined word in the sentence above even thought it don't know the definition).

So, here goes:

I can tell you what time it is if you can tell me what time is.

Keep in mind that I'm a physicist (retired, if that is a true condition) and continually used a word for which I never had a good definition.

DAW

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh b�s fir gun ghr�s fir!