[rollei_list] Re: Identify Rolleiflex model?

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:53:15 -0300

2012/9/21 John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Carlos, I had not heard about the shutters before, that is very interesting.
>
> I guessed that the letter designation 'jumped' because the 2.8 and 3.5
> features were added first to the 2.8 and 'trialed' then the 3.5 would be
> improved to 'catch up'.

Heidecke preferred the 3.5 models for the 6x6 format, someway  the
pro-market compelled F&H to develop 2.8 models. In general, every
improvement was added for the 3.5 and 2.8 models simultaneously or
almost simulteneously, there were a few exceptions of course, f.e the
double format back  was simultaneously added to the Rolleiflex 3.5 and
2.8 that were already in production with the one format back, the MX
shutter was used for the 3.5A from the beginning and added to the 2.8A
at the same time to replace the X shutter, the Rolleifix groove was
added for the 2.8C and 3.5 A simultaneously too,, etc.,etc.; BTW there
were features used for one or a few models only, f.e. the 2.8C plastic
locks for shutter and flash cord never were used for other model, the
special adjustable loupe for the focusing screen was only used for the
2.8C and D, the high tech fresnel/ground glass mix for the focusing
screen and the removable viewfinder hood were used for the Rolleiflex
"T" for the first time, etc.

After the non coupled built in lightmeter, the next step was a camera
with a built-in coupled lightmeter, a difficult issue for a MF
mechnical camera, it requires means to transmit f stops and shutter
speed settings to the lightmeter values, Rollei quickly wanted this
model for commercial reasons and CZ/Compur/Deckel offered them a
complex shutter with large gears that worked to transmit the camera
settings to the lightmeter. Rollei accepted this shutter, it was
available for the 00 size only and the 3.5F1 and 2
received this “Differential” or “Planetary” shutter, a big  shutter
with gears to couple shutter speeds and f stops with the lightmeter;
it  required to increase viewing and taking lenses distance from 42mm
(3.5E or C and others 3.5) to 45mm like the 2.8/80 taking lens models.
A similar shutter size 0 for the 2.8F prototype had no room in the
camera body and then Rollei developed the “Kegelrad- Differential”, a
little bulb/cylinder plenty of  little gears  behind the f stops wheel
that allowed to couple the lightmeter
using the normal shutter and then it was possible to manufacture the
2.8F. The 3.5F model 3 also received the little Kegelrad-Differential
to be used with the normal 00 shutter, the larger planetary shutter
was no longer used, but the 3.5F kept the 45mm lenses distance,
Prochnow says this "Kegelrad" device was a "brilliant".design from
Rollei engineers and technicians.