[rollei_list] Re: Grossly OT: New Haven, 1958 to 1960 and 1972 to 1974

  • From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 03:06:47 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:

At 12:55 PM 2/4/06 -0500, dnygr wrote:

Marc,

Last week I drove up Whitney Avenue into Hamden. Just before Skiff Street
there is a large, new school. I believe it is your alma mater, Spring Glen
Elementary. If I remember, I'll take a digital photo of it one of these
days and post it for you.

I would most deeply appreciate this, as Spring Glen was on Whitney. For
those unfamiliar with Elm City, there are four principal roads running out
of New Haven, Whitney, Whaley, Goff, and Dixon. Whitney is named for Eli
Whitney, the inventor of mass produciton and of the Cotton Gin. Whaley,
Goff, and Dixon were three of the members of the House of Commons in Great
Britain who had voted to kill King Charles, Saint and Martyr. When his
son, with a popular gasp of relief, returned to rule the land, he granted
clemency to all who had fought in the Civil War against his father save for
those who had voted for his death. These three guys fled to New Haven and
were shielded by the locals, even at one point being hidden in a cave on a
local mountain in East Haven. Given the demographic changes in the area
over the past century, I doubt that this is much recalled there now, but in
my time in New Haven fifty years back these guys were remembered as "the
three judges".

[...]

Marc

I've spent many years searching my genealogical roots, and it seems my forebears go back thru Edward "The Regicide" Whaley.
Your greatly simplified history of that area is essentially accurate.
It's rare a more or less casual reference to the area would elicit a small but significant history lesson like this!

Interesting...

keith whaley
So. Cal.