[rollei_list] Re: Fw: Re: Re: 'Old' Zeiss glass question

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:28:41 -0400

At 06:02 PM 4/28/06 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>   Why would an uncoated lens be desirable for surveillance
>work?

Early coatings absorbed some of the light passing through the lens, and so
reduced the capability of the lens to take decent photos in the inky dark
of night.  There is more to it than this but I cannot for the life of me to
recall the details and my source material -- back issues of VIEWFINDER and
the ZEISS HISTORICA SOCIETY JOURNAL are buried away pending my relocation.

Both Leitz and Zeiss produced experimental lenses for such low-light
surveillance purposes, and these were all uncoated.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!