[rollei_list] Re: Fuji Astia 100 . discontinuation

  • From: Emmanuel Bigler <Emmanuel.Bigler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 09:45:28 +0100

I've been pleased by ASTIA results as well. I'm not the "VELVIA-and-nothing-else" guy. Snow shots with ASTIA are really nice. For the family album helping you to remember the good old days, less saturated coulour images are perfect ;-)

My wife in an uncompromising user of colour slides. So far we have used only Kodachrome in 35 mm photography, and the discontinuation of K-64 after our beloved K-25 has pushed us to the process of trying the existing E-6 slides. As strange as it may seem, we had never considered E-6 slide films in 135 format as long as Kodachrome was available. Of course, I already knew about E-6 films and of course I've been using 120 rolls in E-6 since 1977... I'm waiting for my wife's feedback between different Fuji slide films. So far I have proposed her, the "cheap" Sensia 100, Provia 100 and Astia 100. I think Sensia is discontinued or about to be (??), so if ASTIA is discontinued in 135, we'll be left with Ektachromes from Big Yellow and Provia + Velvia from Big Green. Plus the end-of-stocks of course, including Rollei-re-branded AGFA 200 slide film. In Europe, Ektachromes are sold about similar prices to Fuji competing products except for Ektachrome E-100 G, advertised by Kodak as the possible replacement for Kodachrome aficionados, but at my usual European mail-order shops, E-100 G is always sold at a price 20% higher than Fuji's Provia...

Regarding Fuji's announcement on ASTIA, I have read an official annoucement translated from the Japanese website regarding effective discontinuation of ASTIA in 135, but not in 120. As always, when films are discontinued, it is sometimes hard to know if, and eventually when, they will actually be discontinued.

If you can't get ASTIA in 120 from your usual mail-order houses in the New World, you could try some European vendors e.g. Foto Brenner
http://www.brenner-foto.de
look for : Filme >  Farbdia-Filme >  Dia Rollfilme ; select fuji
usual disclaimer : I'm not affiliated, etc, and Foto-Brenner is not the cheapest retailer for film in Europe, but they do stock all kinds of stuff for the film & traditional lab enthusiast... this service has a price you have to pay for.

--
Emmanuel