[rollei_list] Re: Finding Rolleiflex repairing service in China

  • From: "Ben R. McRee" <ben.mcree@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:32:52 -0400

One shutter speed on my MX (1/250) seems to be wildly off. I first noticed seemingly random overexposures this summer. I suspected everything but the shutter-my metering, miscalculated filter factors, bad luck. The most recent roll I developed had two badly overexposed frames-both shot at 1/250th. Reviewing the older rolls I realized that all of the problem frames were made at that same speed. I grabbed the camera and dry fired the shutter at various speeds-based on an eyeball estimate, it looks as if 1/250th is closer to 1/50 (or even 1/25). And it's not consistent. Proof sheets show slight variation in the overexposure. All the other speeds seem to be fine.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong and how fixable it might be? This is a recent problem. I know that 1/250 has functioned perfectly for years. If it matters, this shutter has the older sequence of speeds, including 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, 1/250, 1/500.

I now have more experience than I wanted printing badly overexposed Delta 400 and TMY. I've actually been surprised how well these films have held up, given their finicky reputations. The main impact (other than increased density and long printing times) is that the negatives are rather flat and require grades 3.5-4 in printing. That accentuates the grain, of course, more notably in the Delta.

Thanks, Ben.