[rollei_list] Re: F16 Rule was Re: New Pics Posted....Rolleiflex and Zeiss Ikon images..

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:48:28 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allen Zak" <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:01 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: F16 Rule was Re: New Pics Posted....Rolleiflex and Zeiss Ikon images..

It is to laugh! In my world, meter readings indicate a decrease in brightness.

My Luna Pro (recently tuned up at Bogen) sez ISO/ASA @ f9.5-ish, almost never suggests f16. I have been metering under these skies for more than 50 years, off and on, and have a feel for the area's illumination. Other photographers here agree there is, on average, less intensity to the light than in former decades. Many locals think this anomaly is attributable to atmospheric changes and/or air pollution.

I report, you decide.

Allen Zak

On Jan 31, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Peter J Nebergall wrote:

Right now (3:30PM) Both my Luna Pro and Seconic Studio Pro (set for ISO-100) say 1/100 at around f/12.5, at least when the sensor is pointed straight at the sun. There is a difference between the two when the sensor is pointed at about a 45 degree angle, the Sekonic showing a larger difference. A reflected light reading with the Luna Pro shows about the same as its incident reading. Weather here is clear but slightly hazy.
In full summer sunlight these meters show about f/22 for the same scene and meter position.
I have not noticed a trend up or down in readings here and have been at this location for nearly 20 years.
There is probably a web site somewhere that gives the current solar constant and atmospheric transmission.
I have several meters, mostly pretty old, which generally agree. The one that doesn't always is a Weston Master II. I think this is because it has a much wider acceptance angle than the others. Also, it seems to me (and others with Westons can check this) that the meter reads right when set for about half the Weston equivalent of the ISO speed. I no longer have the standard Weston used. The usual rule is to use the next lowest Weston speed to the ISO speed but this underexposes by about a stop on all Weston meters using the original Westons speeds.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx