[rollei_list] Re: F16 Rule was Re: New Pics Posted....Rolleiflex and Zeiss Ikon images..

  • From: "Marvin Wallace" <Marvin0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 20:43:35 +0800

That's an interesting point James. I meter very quickly with a spot meter as
reading the scene has becomes second nature. It is then just a matter of a
mental calculation and transferring the reading to the camera. If I am in my
full shooting mode, I have the camera pre prepared with required exposure,
primed to take the photo as it appears. I like people and I like getting in
there faces, so one need to be ready with the exposure.
I suppose that I am predisposed to a particular type of photography and
accordingly have developed a style to suit.
I think western Meters were good and were the meters that most serious
photographers began with, as skills and resources increased, every serious
photographer I knew upgraded to Minolta Spot, Sekonic Spot, Gossen Lunar
e.t.c
In short Western Meters are Ok but I think the following analogy is fairly
accurate when used in conjunction with a Rollei/Western combo, its like
having a Rolls Royce and putting a 1970 Nissan Engine in it. It will do the
job well and reliably, but you have to work quite a lot harder to achieve
the same as you would with the best that is available.