[rollei_list] Re: Diagram of Heidosmat viewing lense and Tessar 1:3.5 f=75mm lenses?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:21:34 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Hunter" <dhunter@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 12:14 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Diagram of Heidosmat viewing lense and Tessar 1:3.5 f=75mm lenses?

Hi Richard:

I was able to make an aggreement with the vendor of the Rollieflex MX I bought off eBay a couple of weeks ago, and which turned out to be
little more than a parts camera.

Perhaps its largest problem was the viewing lense, which had been
etched badly by fungus....

So, this morning, I got brave or foolish (use whichever you prefer), removed the face, and dissassembled that lense. I was able to clean off the damage very carefully using a fine plastic polish (Novus), and the lense turned out remarkably well. Then while re-assembling it I ran across the bi-concave lense and noticed it is hard to tell which way it should be turned... Hopefully I do have it re-assembled correctly - that might be the only problem. However, the end result is a major improvement - I can actually see through the viewfinder. Now, comes the problem of getting the viewfinder adjusted in synch with the taking lense so that they both focus at the same point....

It is all a learning curve for me, but I am used to working on small mechanical devices, so I kow all will work out in the end...

Thanks for your response!

Dave

If the center element is reversed the results will be very obvious. The image will be be fairly sharp in the center and become blurred quickly as you move away. It will also be quite dark away from the center. The viewing lenses are interesting because they must form a quite sharp image of pretty uniform quality when wide open and have a fairly large maximum aperture. This is not trivial for a Triplet which has just the minimum number of variables to correct all the primary optical aberrations. Lenses like the Triplet and Tessar are quite sensitive to the spacing of the front and center elements: in fact these designs are used for front-focusing lenses where the focal length is changed by moving the front element. I suspect that this property was made use of to adjust the finder lenses to match taking lenses. The adjustment could be made by slight variations of the spacer for the center element. Since the amount of the variation would be very small it could be done with minimal effect on the corrections. It would be interesting to know if this was actually done.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx