[rollei_list] Re: Darkrooms are doomed?

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:24:38 -0400

On Tuesday, September 26, 2006, at 06:59AM, Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I knew people could do this themselves. I know someone who coats his
>own plates, another who coats his own paper for platinum prints. I
>figured people did this.
>The big companies may desert the film, paper market; there be only
>small players after a while, but I agree, it won't go away.
>
>The corner developing stores will go at some point. My guess is that
>the research for new films will stop, though I could be wrong on this.
>Change forces invention.
>
>We may go back to printing with light bulbs. People still paint with
>egg tempora as they did in the Middle Ages. Andrew Wyeth did. Good
>mediums don't always disappear. Egg tempora is something you do many
>things with that you can't do with oil. You can build layers so that
>light comes through and bounces off. You can't do this with oil paints.
>
>And my guess is that convenience will be out the door.
>
>Doug

I've got some older books, with recipes:- one that comes to mind for pyro
starts with "take oak galls and soak them in water for four to five weeks....".
The pyro bit comes later when you burn the slimy mess. So much will still be
possible of you have the time and the patience.
What can kill of some traditional processes is when someone comes up with an
nefarious use for some of the intermediate chemicals, or where some chemical is
traditionally used in some other process and its use gets banned in that
application on toxicity grounds. Then. when the powers that be want to prevent
people buying it on some other pretext it can prove hard to get.
Examples of materials that one might have problems getting today are guncotton,
uranyl nitrate, potassium dichromate, mercury, potassium cyanide etc.   Again,
with these even if you do get you hands on them, the major problems arise when
you go to dispose of any residues you may have, as the scale at which you are
likely to be operating generally makes a very uncomfortable fit with
enviroumental toxic or radioactive waste disposal regulations.

All the best
Larry Cuffe.