[rollei_list] Re: CLA tips

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:45:52 -0700

At 03:52 PM 7/20/2005, you wrote:

Richard

I do NOT recommend that an inexperienced person, such
as Jean-Marc, even attempt to do the tasks that you have
described.  I suggest that he take the camera to a real
technician and get the job done right.

Have you ever tried to get a viewfinder screw out, that had
the slotted head torqued off?  It ain't no fun!!

Jerry

I would try it if I had the problem.

The typical problems encountered by folks with limited experience are:

1. Using a screw driver that is too small. Use the largest one that will fit the slot or head.

2.      Having a feel about whether something like a screw is going to shear.

One point about item 2- I have found that if you are trying to loosen something that is frozen (even bottle caps) holding a reasonable pressure for a minute or two will eventually cause them to turn. Of course with flexible things like lens rings, screw-in filters, and bottle caps, one does have to not apply the torque in such a way as to squeeze them; guess that's why ring wrenches and rubber wrenches were invented.

So, Jerry-

Don Williams La Jolla, CA