[rollei_list] Re: CLA tips

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:14:01 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean-Marc Saffroy" <junk42@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 11:50 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: CLA tips

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Jerry Lehrer wrote:

Yes. YOU would try, because you have the experience.
As does Richard, but Jean-Marc does not. He admits
it.

Definitely. ;)

The camera seems usable anyway, so I'll shoot a test roll, and see what I
get: if I get well-exposed well-focused pictures, then I may live with
some minor annoyances (dirty mirror, shifted focus knob).

I will also show the 'cord to a local camera repair shop (I live in
Grenoble, France) but it will probably be too expensive to be worth it (I
don't intend to spend much more money for this camera).

Thanks all for your answers!

Regards,

-- Jean-Marc Saffroy ---

Since repair is too expensive there is really nothing to stop you from trying to set up the focus. You need a small set of inexpensive jeweller's screwdrivers. In the USA one can find these in a grocery store, they do not have to be expensive ones. Since some of the screws used in Rolleis and other cameras have very thin slots it may be nececessary to grind the screwdriver tip. A sharpening stone works well for this. For the focus knob you need some sort of tool to remove the cover from the focus knob. I use a small needle nose pliers. To work the internal lock nut the best tool is a standard screwdriver with a notch cut in the center of the blade with a file. This makes a small spanner. You will also need a bit of ground glass to fit the back. If ground glass is hard to come by then use a section of clear glass cut to the right size and use the frosted type of Scotch Tape (or whatever its called in Switzerland) to form a "ground" surface. The glass should sit on the film rails and rollers. Tape it in place. Use a good quality magnifier of at least 10 power to examine the image. Getting the infinity position right is a little tedious, it needs some juggling. Before loosening the knob check to see if the camera will focus at infinity on the ground glass. If it does set it there, then loosen the nut for the knob, set the knob to infinity (the knob itself is the stop) and tighten the nut again. Sometimes the knob or shaft will slip a little to recheck this. If the knob is set so that infinity is out of range loosen the nut, move the knob in the right direction to get more range, tighten the nut and set for infinity as above. No disassembly other than removing the knob cover is necessary for this adjustment.
To get the screws for the finder hood off I suggest using a penetrating oil applied around the edges of the screws. Leave it for several hours, even a couple of days. Sometimes tapping on the screws occasionally will help the oil and solvent to penetrate.
Choose a screwdriver wide enough to fill most of the slot on the screw. It will probably be too thick. File or grind the tip so that it has a snug fit in the slot. This will maximise the area of the slot that pressure is applied to and minimise the possibility of breaking the screw head. Use constant pressure to start the screw. Avoid abrupt pressure.
Once off the hood just lifts off. The ground glass just sits on springs under the hood and will lift off. The GG can be cleaned in warm water and diswashing detergent. The mirror may just be dusty, if so just blow it off. You can also try brushing it off but use a very clean and very soft brush. If its corroded you will have to replace it, not a difficult job. Clean the back of the finder lens while you are at it.
If the finder lens is out of adjustment some disassembly is necessary. If you need to do this I suggest getting one of the manuals available for the camera. These show the assembly. The disassembly is not difficult but you should know what to expect.
I learned to do at least minor repairs to Rolleis out of self protection. I had a Rolleicord IV messed up by a supposedly competent repair guy (NOT I hasten to add Harry Fleenor, who is wonderful). The camera had a minor problem that I fixed by cleaning something. This guy got the shutter awry (the shutter had nothing to do with it) and obviously didn't know what he was doing.
Rolleis are very well designed and very well built which makes them relatively easy to work on. You also have the advantage of knowing the camera worked right to begin with, not true of all cameras.
I repeat, if the lenses are in good condition this is a fine camera despite being Rollei's economy model. What it lacks is the automatic loading and shutter cocking features of the Rolleiflex. Optically, it is the equal of the Rolleiflex and, to me anyway, is an easier camera to use. A late Rolleicord III is worth spending at least some time on, it is NOT a cheap or second rate camera in any way.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx