[rollei_list] Re: CDs and reality of things

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:43:30 -0500

Hi all,

Recently, various folks wrote:
(much snipped)

> From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> At 09:54 AM 4/16/2006 -0700, Peter wrote:
>> Eric,
>>
>> I am sorry to tell you that you are wrong! Regardless of your belief
>> that you are an expert in this area, I can show you a few CDs that
>> are more than 20 years old. As to your CDs that deteriorated, well,
>> not sure what they were or how they were made, etc. But all I can
>> say is I have a large CD collection many of which date to 1983 or
>> so. So all I can say is you must be very rough on your CDs. There
>> were some issues with early pressings but these were resolved.
>> Today's commercial CDs will last many years.
>
> I agree with Peter with regard to commercial CDs, just based on their
> construction.
[...]
> I have never had a problem with a self-burned CD-R EXCEPT in a couple
> of cases.

and

> From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> [...] The problem I reference relative to commercially
> burned CDs failing within months or just a few years is well
documented...

This appears to be an "apples and oranges discussion". There are two kinds
of products being discussed; discs that are burned or duplicated (CD-R,
DVD-R), and discs that are replicated, as in most music CDs and movie
DVDs. The latter are not "burned", but are stamped and laminated. In the
early days of CDs, there were some problems with laminating, allowing the
aluminum stamping to oxidize and thus become unreadable because oxidation
reduced the reflectivity of that layer. This hasn't been a problem for
about 20 years, now.

Recordable media suffers from the dye deterioration that has been brought
up by several in this discussion. They will fail at some point, and no
claims of how long they will last are reliable due to the many variables
that affect the deterioration.

The best recording speed is largely determined by the combination of
recorder and media, not the media alone. Some recorders have several laser
power levels available, others only have one. Whatever the case, the most
reliable discs will be burned at a speed particular to the recorder *and*
selected media, and without testing, it will be difficult to tell what
that speed might be. It is seldom the fastest or slowest speed available,
regardless of media.

Hope this helps some...

Neil Gould
      Terra Tu - www.terratu.com