[rollei_list] CDs and reality of things

  • From: "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:54:09 -0700

Eric,

I am sorry to tell you that you are wrong! Regardless of your belief that
you are an expert in this area, I can show you a few CDs that are more than
20 years old. As to your CDs that deteriorated, well, not sure what they
were or how they were made, etc. But all I can say is I have a large CD
collection many of which date to 1983 or so. So all I can say is you must be
very rough on your CDs. There were some issues with early pressings but
these were resolved. Today's commercial CDs will last many years.

OK. So now I am ready for you to tell me I am wrong because you know someone
who knows an engineer, who test a CD for someone's company...yada yada yada.

Peter K

On 4/15/06, Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> More inaccurate information. There are tens, perhaps hundreds of
> thousands of commercially pressed CDs which have failed within a few
> years. I have experienced this myself in spite of proper storage. And
> no CD product has an independently varified archival life of even two
> decades.
>
> Eric Goldstein
>
> --
>
> On 4/15/06, Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Thank you Peter. I know all of this. I thought that I had made much
> > of this clear. I guess not. Sorry.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > At 06:17 PM 4/15/2006 -0700, Peter K. wrote:
> >
> > >With al due respect Jim, the deterioration is more for CD-Rs than
> > >the CDs you buy at a music store. The reason being the latter are
> > >coated and the material burned is less affacted by light. Stored
> > >properly they will last many decades. (snipped)

Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬