[rollei_list] Re: Banning of the Chaparral 2J - was RE: Re: OT - Formula One and Perpetual Motion

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:12:07 -0500

On Saturday, January 29, 2005, at 11:29  PM, Austin Franklin wrote:

> Ardeshir,
>
>> The same thing, by the way, applies to cars with huge fans sucking up
>> air from underneath and thereby producing gobs of down-force even on
>> the slowest curves. They were banned because cars equipped with such
>> fans would easily out-distance the present cars.
>
> Er, no. They (the Chaparral 2J) were banned for a very good safety
> reason. They sucked up debris from the track and spit it out the rear
> of the car. It was a severe safety hazard. A small pebble or even
> marbles (and if you have a clue about auto racing, you'd know what
> marbles were...but now that you've found out how to search for things
> on the Internet and become an instant expert, I'm sure you can find it
> that way as well) could potentially kill or seriously injure a driver
> (or someone on the trackside) if "spit" from one of these cars.
>
> Austin

Austin, my dear chap! That could have easily been solved by having the
air strained ... like through a strainer. You may have heard of
strainers? Or sieves?

(One needs, however, to be an un-engineer - like, say, a cook - to
figure out these easy solutions, however. One can't fault Austin for
not knowing a cook's easy solutions to such "problems". Anyway, no
Internet is needed! Just a bit of practice in the kitchen.)

Cheers.