[rollei_list] Banning of the Chaparral 2J - was RE: Re: OT - Formula One and Perpetual Motion

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:29:42 -0500

Ardeshir,

> The same thing, by the way, applies to cars with huge fans sucking up
> air from underneath and thereby producing gobs of down-force even on
> the slowest curves. They were banned because cars equipped with such
> fans would easily out-distance the present cars.

Er, no.  They (the Chaparral 2J) were banned for a very good safety reason.
They sucked up debris from the track and spit it out the rear of the car.
It was a severe safety hazard.  A small pebble or even marbles (and if you
have a clue about auto racing, you'd know what marbles were...but now that
you've found out how to search for things on the Internet and become an
instant expert, I'm sure you can find it that way as well) could potentially
kill or seriously injure a driver (or someone on the trackside) if "spit"
from one of these cars.

Austin