[rollei_list] Re: Agfa RSXII with Wratten filter

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:37:13 -0800

I found that by selecting the sky separately and changing its saturation and color helped a bit.

Slobodan Dimitrov
http://www.sdimitrovphoto.com/

On Dec 5, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Ellestad wrote:

Hi Carlos -

A warm color balance would seem correct for such a late sun but the "81" correction did seem over the top. I brought the image into Photoshop and it looked like the midrange level should be increased to about 1.20. Then put in only a fraction of the red/yellow of the "81", keeping the levels and
saturation constant - perhaps Color Balance settings of about +10 Red
and -30 Blue in the Mid-tones and +10 Red and -10 Blue in the highlights. You might want to "cool off" the shadows a little bit with Color Balance, say about -10 Red and +15 Blue, as the deep shadows actually get "colder" at
this time of day. Of course, all of this is based on personal
interpretation.

My screen is calibrated with Pantone's OptiCAL using their Spyder screen reading device and my calibrations have been in absolute lock-step with my lab for several years. I calibrate to a Gamma of 1.8 - internet imaging is
arguably more likely to be in the vicinity of Gamma 2.0 (and here and
there), a modest difference. Other screen calibration devices work equally well, I'm sure. Visual "extinction" methods of screen calibration will get you in the ball park but they will never really nail color calibration - our
eyes and minds are just too accomodating.

Without screen calibration you are just adjusting images to suit yourself on your screen as it is . . . in its current status - its color and contrast
caracteristics will wander as time goes on and the screen ages.

I greatly enjoy your photos. It is very nice to see pictures of places
far-off and exotic to me. Especially in that they are your personal shots - scenes selected by you to portray and communicate the part of the world that you live in. For me, there is an impact of presence in these scenes that isn't generally there in more contrived illustrations. Please keep up the
good work.

Regards,

Tim Ellestad