[rollei_list] Re: Ford motor and Rolleiflex

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 12:01:18 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos Manuel Freaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 7:35 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Ford motor and Rolleiflex

Yes of course, I have uploaded the two last versions
Slobodan sent me to my blog, and then the two firsts
photographs are the photograhs adjusted by Slobodan
and the following two photographs are the same
photographs with the original adjustment (please click
on thumbnails for the full size image):

http://silveremulsion.blogspot.com/

All the best
Carlos

To my eye, and on my monitor, which is not really calibrated, the first two images look overcorrected and the third about right. The later images are somewhat blue but the light on the forground objects in all appear to be lighted mainly by skylight or a combination of skylight with a little warmer light reflected from clouds. The backgrounds are lighted with direct late afternoon sunlight and appear slightly yellow. I suppose one could make all this look the same with a lot of work in Photoshop but I don't think it would be an improvement. The blue cast is not excessive. If you correct the images as a whole you must decide on what is to be reference white. No matter what you choose something else will look wrong. In life the eye continuously adapts for color. Its easy to demonstrate this to your self. Just look through a camera filter for a minute or two and then look without it. I have also had the experience of having my eyes mis-matched, for instance, when hiking in the late afternoon with the sun on one side. The eye on the sun side becomes quite blue. It takes a minute of two for this to wear off. If the third image is un-retouched I would just leave it alone, it looks fine.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx