[rollei_list] Re: Adventures with light meters

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 17:07:51 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Derickson" <alland435@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Rollei List" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:16 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Adventures with light meters

When I dusted off my old but only slightly used Rollei 3.5F all functions seems to work properly except the light meter. I shrugged and put it off to old age and figured I would just use a hand-held meter. After thinking about it for awhile, however, it didn't make much sense. The camera had not seen much use and had been stored in a cool dark place so it didn't seem right that the selenium cell would have deteriorated. I nor anyone else had ever done any service on this camera but reading my manual the meter is user-serviceable to the extent of setting the zero and it shows how to remove it. The zero was okay but I decided to take a look to see what I could see. The back of the meter has two gold plated posts which fit into sockets which also have gold plated contacts. I took a sharpened pencil eraser and polished each one and cleaned them with alcohol for good measure. I also removed the selenium cell itself which has two gold plated contacts. I cleaned and polished these also. After putting everything back together, guess what? It reads spot on with my faithful old Gossen Sixtar (same as
Super Pilot).

As a side note, I'm done buying meters on Ebay. A couple months ago I decided I should really start to learn and use the Zone System so I bought a Minolta spotmeter F. It bears a sticker that it was calibrated in March of this year by Quality Light-metric in Hollywood. After extensive testing I find that it is a stop off. At least it seems to be consistent over the range of light levels. I'll keep it but put my own sticker on it to remind myself to double the ISO value. Now my old Gossen uses those nasty mercury cells and I'm down to my last couple of my Canadian stash. For the first time in 40 years I dropped the darrn thing on concrete. It cracked the plastic housing and the cds cell window. I figured well 40 years ain't bad and I sniped a Sekonic L-208 in the last seconds of an Ebay auction. It just came and it's two stops off in bright sunlight and pretty close in low light. In other words, not linearly off. So it goes back. The Sixtar is
still working so I'll use it til it expires.

Live and learn.

I'm not sure how QLM calibrates meters. I know that some years ago, when I visited, they had a lamp in a box that was their standard. I have no idea how it was calibrated. They were putting neutral density filters into old selenium meters, which I think is not correct. Selenium cells can deteriorate with time even when stored in favorable conditions. The enemies are heat and moisture. The cell edges are sealed to prevent entry of moisture but the seals often break down with time. The symptom is that the meter reads low for bright light on the cell. Its fairly easy to test since most meters have some region of overlap between their high and low ranges. A reading of a fixed level of light in the overlap range should be very close on both ranges. If the cell has deteriorated it will read low on the range where the light reaching it is most intense (low range), typically by about one stop. Since the error is dependant on the brightness of the light striking the cell it is not linear and can not be corrected for by a simple fixed level adjustment such as changing the film speed. A lot of people _think_ a meter is OK because it isn't dead but it can still be off. Bad contacts are a problem especially with all the polution in the air these days. Cleaning contacts can do wonders. A very good contact cleaner, available from electronic and computer stores, is Caig De-Oxit Gold. It comes in spray cans but apply it with a cotton swab or toothpick. BTW, I found a trick for Weston Master meters that read low or intermittant. Push in on the cell window and twist it bit back and forth, that will clean the pressure contacts and often bring it back to life.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA