[rollei_list] Re: Abalone and Caviar

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:56:00 -0400

At 08:43 PM 8/10/06 -0400, Eric Goldstein wrote:

>Domestic US abalone production is in fact farm production, which means
>there is a good chance it is loaded with toxins. You can buy frozen
>farm-raised abalone for about 5-15 bucks each depending on size...

Hmm.  Why would farm-raised abalone be more prone to toxins than wild ones?
 Here, on the East Coat, farm-raised shellfish are generally much cleaner
than are wild shellfish.  I have heard this in the past but mainly from the
sort of radical Green types whose constant refrain is, "when the US dies,
the world will be free!" and the like.  I have not seen anything in the
serious literature about toxins in farm-raised abalone but do know that
abalone are hard to raise in a farm environment.

And, no, I CANNOT buy any abalone, at any price, outside of a few select
restaurants in major cities, and call ahead to reserve your order.  Twenty
years back, I could get abalone on special order and kippered herring any
day at my local Kroger, but those days are long past.  But, then, I
couldn't get Russian caviar back then, and now I can, so I guess it evens out.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!