[rollei_list] Re: 6x6 slides

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 21:11:18 -0400

> The Provia mailers to the only place in Kansas that still processes them are
> a real ripoff.  $12 -14 without  mounting.

I don't mean to rain on your gripe Jan - all in good fun I hope - but Gepe
mounts are still available (with or without glass). Processed and mounted a 6x6
slide ends up costing about $3 a piece. If you bracket, then on the order of $5
or $6 a piece. A full tray could cost about $200. It's not the cheap
alternative is it? But I don't ever remember E-6 as being cheap, even when it
was everywhere (and I'm remembering its heydays in the mid 80s). So you have to
mean it, or it has to mean something to you. But if you consider what one might
spend on wine or scotch (which would go well with a show of MF slides), or two
trips with the family to some awful 3D movie the kids want to see, the luxury
of such a pursuit is not so much of a rip-off. And compared to shooting crappy
Polaroids that pass for hip art these days, it's a bargain. Compared to what an
iPhone (which simulates crappy polaroids well) costs to own and use, it's a
steal.

Quite a few services out there that you can mail to - considering that film is
dead.

Elias