[rollei_list] Re: 2,8F Planar and Tmax 400

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 14:21:33 -0700

   Infrared film is not all the same. Kodak used to make "real" IR film with response to the far IR. This had a gap in the spectral response around green. This film was used with far IR filters that are opaque to visible light. These filters will not work on near IR film or films with extended red response like the late, lamented, Technical Pan because their IR response does not extend much below the visible. I think this is true of most of the modern IR films, they are not true IR film. True IR film is somewhat perishable, the deep IR sensitivity makes the film vulnerable to fogging from heat. Kodak made it in small amounts. True IR film was commonly used for aerial survey work and some scientific photography. With a true IR filter it will discriminate between deciduous and evergreen trees, the former appearing light and the later dark. It was also used occasionally for "day for night" B&W photography because skies appeared completely black. Some cameras leaked enough IR to be useless with it. Some bellows, for instance, were semi-transparent to IR.
   Lenses are generally corrected for two colors, both in the visible spectrum. Often they have a shift in focus between visible and IR. Some lenses in focus mounts have a correction, usually for near IR. There were special lenses corrected for far IR, mostly for scientific photography and aerial survey work. Also, some types of optical glass do not transmit well for far IR so lenses intended for this work must have suitable glass types.
   I am digging this stuff from memory but think its all correct.
   The film Carlos used is probably sensitive to near but not far IR. It will still show the difference in reflectivity of different types of plants.

On 8/26/2017 12:23 PM, Don Williams wrote:

At 07:00 AM 8/26/2017, Carlos wrote, in part:
Images taken last week end in the farm with the Rolleiflex 2,8 FPlanar, Kodak Tmax 400, Romek PQ7 1+3 developer:

The Rollei red filter:
https://flic.kr/p/XPtV65

I think I used some "IR" film in the long-ago and the pictures were similar to the red filter picture.

Also, I have some vague recollection that cameras used to have a second focus index mark for IR.  Do I remember correctly?

DAW~

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx