[rodgersorgan] Re: rodgersorgan Digest V2 #172

  • From: "Simmons, Erik" <erik.simmons@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:12:14 -0700

Try the first volume of the Hymnal 1982 Companion. It has essays on the =
history of hymnody in the US and England. The third and fourth volumes =
may also be helpful for individual hymns. Our library has a copy that =
I've found quite interesting and useful.

http://www.churchpublishing.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=3Dproduct&productID=3D=
64

Cheers.

Date: Monday July 14, 2003
Subject: Hymn History 1870 to present

With all the good hymn discussion in the recent past, I thought perhaps=20
some of you could help with a project I am beginning to research. A few=20
years ago, I researched and taught a thirteen week series on hymns and=20
their history which was designed for an adult education program at=20
Westminster Presbyterian Church in Lancaster, Pa. The time period=20
researched and presented was from early Christian music/hymnody up=20
throught the 1870s. The class was well received and many who did not=20
attend have asked to have the class repeated while those who did attend=20
have requested another class series dealing with hymn history from the=20
1870s to the present. After finishing a 13 week series on "Death and=20
Dying" which was estremely well attended, (I was going to be a mortician =

before I was rescued and turned to the music field by a professor at=20
Westminster Choir College), it is time to get into the joy of music once =

again.

Some preliminary research has been done and materials obtained from the=20
Hymn Society. With the wealth of knowledge within this group, I am=20
asking for suggestions of research materials and recordings of=20
individuals and groups singing hymns of the period in styles of the=20
period. A recently acquired recording provided good musicianship and a=20
fine selection of gospel hymns but was done in the Contemporary Praise=20
Band style, which is not representative of the accompaniment of the=20
period which in many cases was simply piano. This course will deal with=20
the history of the church after 1870, its leaders, revivals, tent=20
meetings and camp meetings of the era as well as hymn composers and the=20
history a specific hymns

Your help in providing suggestions of materials for my research in this=20
new adult class series will be much appreciated. In addition to my email =

address, you may contact me at Buch Church Organ Company, 1391 West Main =

Street, Ephrata, PA 17522-1313, via the phone at 800-242-3901 and FAX=20
717-733-3260.  THANKS!

FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:

>May all your bloopers be grace notes this hoiliday season! From the =
Staff at FMP

>---
>------------------------------------
>rodgersorgan Digest    Sun, 13 Jul 2003        Volume: 02  Issue: 172
>
>In This Issue:
>               [rodgersorgan] Re: WRITE DOWN YOUR PISTONS
>               [rodgersorgan] Re: WRITE DOWN YOUR PISTONS
>               [rodgersorgan] HELP;  organ music
>               [rodgersorgan] Re: HELP;  organ music
>               [rodgersorgan] LDS Hymn Favorites
>               [rodgersorgan] Re: HELP;  organ music
>               [rodgersorgan] Re: LDS Hymn Favorites
>               [rodgersorgan] Re: LDS Hymn Favorites

>From: DMillerRodgers@xxxxxxx
>Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:59:13 EDT
>Subject: [rodgersorgan] Re: WRITE DOWN YOUR PISTONS
>
>write 'em down, or at least back them up to a disk via the PR300!
>
>have a great week everyone
>Dan
>

>Dan Miller
>Product Manager and
>Design Manager for Custom 4 Manual Organs
>Rodgers Instruments LLC
>
>dmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>www.rodgersinstruments.com
>

>Personal website:
>www.danmillermusic.com
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:14:19 -0400
>From: SRGibson1@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [rodgersorgan] Re: WRITE DOWN YOUR PISTONS
>

>Some really nice and helpful organist leave a brief list of the piston =
registations on the organ to help the visiting organist.

>Sue Gibson
>
>------------------------------
>
>From: "Gary Allan" <ibeabz1@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [rodgersorgan] HELP;  organ music
>Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:51:00 -0500
>
>=20
>Hey listers,=20
>
>I've been silent long enough!  I can't take it any more.  (been lurking =
for
>the past year or so).=20
>
>So, where do your buy organ music?  I have been away from playing for
>awhile,and alas my local source eliminated organ music.  ( I'm sure not
>because I stopped purchasing from them!) Anyone have a good place =
on-line?=20
>What if you want to look at the music first?  HELP!  Spoke to several =
active
>organists and they only agreed "yah! that is a problem".=20
>
>I play a 147 rank pipe augmented Rodgers T967 (in my dreams).  In =
reality,
>who knows yet.  I enjoy this list and credit you ALL for re-kindling =
the
>passion to play again.  Thanks.=20
>
>And lonely as it is, that loneliness Will be more lonely ere it will be
>less-:  Robert Frost .  I don't have a clue what this means, just =
sounded
>good at the time! Gary Allan in the Minneapolis area.   =20
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------=
----
>Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. [1]Get 2 months FREE*.=20
>
>--- Links ---
>   1 http://g.msn.com/8HMXENUS/2749??PS=3D
>
>------------------------------
>
>From: HANEYRPH@xxxxxxx
>Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:40:19 EDT
>Subject: [rodgersorgan] Re: HELP;  organ music
>
>A good source for online organ
> music is FROG MUSIC PRESS!
>
>Clark Haney Wells
>Tahoka, TX
>

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:05:05 -0400
>From: noel jones <gedeckt@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [rodgersorgan] LDS Hymn Favorites
>
>List,
>
>Those of you who have had contact or are members of LDS churches, =
please give me=20
>an idea of three or four of the favorite hymns of congregations, beyond =
Come,=20

!
Find new MIDI music and Guides to Rodgers Organs at www.frogmusic.com

To post send messages to: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx