[rodgersorgan] Re: Tremolos / Theater-style offertory

  • From: R340Theatre@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:36:44 EDT

In a message dated 6/13/2003 6:37:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
diapason@xxxxxxx writes:
> Is this a can of worms?  Agree?  Disagree?  Would welcome other points
> of view.

Hi Bill,

Enjoyed your post very much and it brought back memories from years ago when
I played at a local Baptist church as a "substitute" organist on an old Allen
TC4.  The regular organist was classically trained, played and accompanied by
the book and was a fine musician that I looked up to in "awe".  Yet the
congregational reaction was always "so so", even to some very impressive
musical
performances!

As you know, I have always enjoyed the theatre organ, and, when "subbing"
would often work in (with permission) "theatre organ" style arrangements with
open harmony, unusual chord structures, glissandos, full trems, vox and
strings!
 The arrangements of Harold DeCou (Sunday Morning Organist/Gospel
Organist/Christmas Organist books) were used often and invariably there was a
great
response from the congregation.  As in your case, many would stop by the
console
after service to thank me for that "lovely" this or that.

Your comment " . . . but if worship music is supposed to speak to people's
souls, perhaps we're ignoring an entire group of Christians if we don't
occasionally minister to them on the theater/gospel level. . . " is right on
target and also focuses on what I believe has led to the "demise" of public
enjoyment, support,  and interest in organ music.  Far too many Americal
Classic
instruments with those lovely strings, voxes, and stopped flues  which could
tug at the heart strings of a congregation were ripped out and trashed, only
to be replaced by baroque screechers and French "reed based" hair splitters!
And as the organ ceased to be enjoyed in church by anyone other than the
"academics", its overall support (and funding) from the congregations began to
decline as well!

While some will say that "other interests" have led to the decline of public
interest in organ music, I still think the organ world is far too often its
own "worst enemy" ! ! !

Kindest regards!
Bob

!