[rodgersorgan] Re: Tremolos / Theater-style offertory

  • From: WmMTexas@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:50:02 EDT

In a message dated 06/16/2003 8:01:15 AM Central Daylight Time,
redviper@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< "Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho", by Jerry
 Nelson.  It is extremely jazzy and rhythmic.

 I've searched a number of music sites to find this piece. Can you help
 me?  Can't come up with a hint of anything.

Hello Kristine and others!   Yes, "Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho" by Jerry
Nelson, is a piano arrangement, in the book titled "Tribute! Hymns, Gospel
Songs, and Spirituals", from Lillenas Publishing, Kansas City, Mo..  It is for
the "advanced" pianist, and does require some practice time, but oh my, what a
fantastic arrangement!  It starts with 6 measures of the classical style, and
then goes into a jazz/swing, building to a climax in the middle where the
"walls actually fall", and you are playing huge clashes of chords, and then
back
to the jazz/swing style and classical for the ending!  Five pages long, but a
super work!
I found this one at Lifeway Music (used to be Baptist Book Store).

A word of explanation here:  As a child I began taking piano lessons, started
organ in my teen years, and then on as an organ major in college.  The organ
quickly became my love and life.  Ever since my mid-teen years I have been a
church organist, and now am 58.  Wow, what a great time I've had in my life
with music!  Now, to current time, about 2 years ago my church wanted me to
investigate us getting a new grand piano for our church sanctuary.  In the
history
of the church (over 100 years old now), they had never had a "grand piano",
and especially never one in the sanctuary!   Our Music/Worship Committee asked
to me to gather information and make a recommendation.  What I wanted, I
quickly discovered that we simply could not afford.  This was a major "bummer"
me, wanting the best quality of construction and musical sound.  While out
shopping for pianos, I was at my local Steinway dealership.  The salesman, a
good
friend of mine, was very open and honest with me about the piano's, and wanted
to show me a "Young Chang" grand.  At first I refused to play the piano, it
not being made in America.  He "forced" me to sit down and play it.  I was
shocked at the sound!  After investigation I made the recommendation of a 6'10"
Young Chang. Our church had no fund setup for this piano, we voted on this
piano,
and planned for special gifts to pay for it, having nothing in the church
budget for it.  Within two weeks I got a call from the senior minister saying
"order it".  We had one person in the church who gave the entire package in
memory of her aunt!!!  God does still give us miracles!!!
We had to build a special platform under the piano so all 3 legs would sit at
the same level, being our choir loft had various levels, and this heavy
constructed wooden platform made another "sounding board" for the piano.  We
ended
up with a 6'10" piano that sounds more like a concert grand!  I highly urge
anyone looking for a new grand to checkout these Young Chang grands.  Ours is
now 2 years old, and I am still very proud of my recommendation.  This however
did change a lot of my practice time.  I quickly discovered that my personal
music library had very little music for the piano solo.  So out shopping I went
for piano music. After visiting 2 Lifeway store's, and other places, I eneded
up with over $100 of new music, and much practice ahead of me, giving me (and
our congregation) some super new music!  Normally I am an organist, but with
this new grand piano, we now do more choir anthems using the piano.  Each month
I try to play at least one offertory on the piano, and the people love
hearing it.
To share with all of you folks, here are some of the arrangers I have
collections of, and recommend to others:
Jerry Nelson, Bill Wolaver, Marilyn Reimer, Mark Hayes (almost everything of
his is super....checkout "www.MarkHayes.com"), John Turner, Marilyn White, and
there are also a couple special books with various arrangers entitled "Big
Black & White Book of Advanced Piano Solos" plus a green one, and others!
While this group is mainly focused towards our great Rodgers Organs, our
pruchase of this new grand piano has given my church the opportunity to
"expand"
our music tastes, and allows us to now have very high quality "piano/organ
duets".  Perhaps this information will assist you and your church to new levels
of
quality worship!
One other side note:  Just two weeks ago we had our summer music camp at the
Methodist campsite in Texas.  Each year a Rodgers Organ is brought in for the
music camp, as they have no organ there.  Mark Miller came in for the workshop
week, and during his evening concert on the organ he had one piece where he
started playing, quickly jumped off from the organ and ran to the piano!  Yep,
he had the organ part on the PR300 on disk, and then played the piano as a
duet.  The people went crazy over this and loved it !!!!!!  So, for all of you
with those PR300's, try something a little different.  Sequence your organ part
on disk, then play a piano duet "with yourself".  Expose your church
congregation to new idea's of music using your Rodgers Organ!!!  Oh, you lucky
folks
with those super Rodgers Organs!!!!!!
As for more information concerning piano solo's, just ask and I will try to
help any I can.
Now go make "music".........
William Morris
Houston, Texas