[rodgersorgan] Re: The Lowly Gemshorn is not a horn.

  • From: William E Ehrke <diapason@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 09:12:35 -0600

Interesting you should bring up this stop, Noel.  A couple of us were revoicing
an organ last week after some acoustic changes
in a church, and discovered that we kept coming back to the Gemshorn to make
sure we had it "right."

By the way, the distinction between "chems" and "jems" may be too subtle for us
Texans!  Down here the pronunciation is pretty
evenly divided in a different way - between "jems" and "gems" with a hard G as
in "gate" or "goat."

No matter how you pronounce it, a good Gemshorn is a valuable stop.  A great
registration for general accompanying purposes is
Gemshorn 8' plus a 4' flute.  Singers who are accompanied with an 8' stop alone
often have a hard time hearing their pitch -
they lose the organ's unison pitch in the sound of their own voices.  But in
this light ensemble, the Gemshorn establishes the
unison foundation in a transparent sort of way while the 4' flute gives the
vocalists their notes very securely at the octave
pitch.

B.E.

------