[rodgersorganusers] Re: Tell us about your favorite Christmas Music

  • From: "John G. Cormack" <jackjack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:20:33 -0500

At 03:31 PM 12/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>In a message dated 12/12/2003 12:22:25 PM Central Standard Time,
>jkstiles@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< If so, can you give me some help in
>  how to convince them that other music fits the bill of
>  music appropriate to music?  Or should I just right them
>  off as ninnies and ignore them? >>
>I believe this is called "educating the congregation".  Be sure to keep the
>traditional Christmas carols and hymns in your church service.  And then
>introduce something "new" to their ears.  I remember when MIDI was first
>brought out
>by Rodgers, and many, many people did not want to accept it as "approprate
>music".  Well, times have changed, thanks to musicians who educated their
>people, whether redneck or stiff-collar, that music comes in many
>forms.  It wasn't
>too long ago that country-western was considered to be "hillbilly" stuff!   I
>remind my own congregation that Christmas comes around only once a year,
>so if
>they hear something they don't like, rest easy folks as it will at least a
>year before they hear it again.....hehehhehhehe.

Another piece that will shake them up is Edwin H. Lemare's "Andantino" --
written as a religious
piece, or so says Tom Hazelton.  The melody and accompaniment was a popular
love song "Moonlight and Roses",
in the 1920's.  I searched on Google which identifies Moonlight and Roses
as composed by three people, Lemare being
one of them.  But I was unable to find any information about Andantino
originally being a sacred piece that was
converted into a popular song.  Does anyone have any info on this?

Jack

If you have any difficulty with this or PayPal,
please contact noeljones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for help!