[rodgersorgan] Refinishing 990

  • From: "Charlie Strack" <charlie_strack@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:02:29 -0700

Hi, List.

I started refinishing my 990 by stripping and staining the lid. Some =
former owner appears to have
refinished it before, as it took some pretty strong stuff to get the clear =
coat off. Usually Rodgers=20
used lacquer, which dissolves easily in lacquer thinner. Not this one.

Anyway, I applied 2 coats of Watco oil (one of dark walnut followed by one =
of cherry),
and it's looking really nice. I think a final coat of dark walnut will get =
me just where I want.

I had thought there was serious sunbleaching. While there is some, I now =
think that when the lid
was previously refinished they stripped off most of the stain, as with =
just one coat of Watco I got
pretty deep color. Color doesn't usually come back so easily if the wood =
itself has been bleached
(which sunlight can do).

Now for the difficult task--has anyone stripped a tambour door? Any =
suggestions? I'm afraid to use
a water based stripper or methylene chloride, as either might dissolve or =
soften the glue holding
the slats to the cloth backing. I'll try lacquer thinner first, but think =
this may be a very long task,
doing each slat individually.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Charlie

Enter our Free Organ Shoes Contest before November 1st.

New link to Christmas Music at www.frogmusic.com!