[rodgersorgan] Re: Question about using other MIDI modules

  • From: "John G. (Jack) Cormack" <jackjack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 13:21:39 -0500

At 10:49 AM 01/09/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>OK, I have a question.  Our church is getting a new 807 with PR-300(S?)
>in April, so I am asking this question with little familiarity to the
>organ and PR-300S.  Here goes.
>
>I believe the PR-300S to be a MIDI module (a GM/GS synthesizer without a
>keyboard).  Therefore I believe there to be a MIDI connection from the
>module to organ and also I expect there to be an audio connection from
>the module to the organ (to mix in before the amplifiers perhaps). =20
>
>So how difficult for a non-technician to add another MIDI module to the
>organ and have the sound played through the organ's amplification and
>speaker system?  This is just curiosity.  I'm not sure whether I would
>ever want to do such a thing.
>
>Rick Marquardt=20
Rick:

It is very easy to have other MIDI modules.  I do not have the PR-300 but
whether
or not one has the PR300 is irrelevant to adding other MIDI sources.

I have a Rodgers T-927 organ (3 manuals plus pedal)  The MIDI devices
I have are the Allen MDS Expander II, the Kurzweil K2600RS, the Yamaha
Clavinova
digital piano, and my Compaq digital computer sound card all can be chained
together
so that I can access whichever of those devices I want.  My setup is as
follows:
I have the MIDI A buttons on the organ to control the Allen MDS
Expander.  The audio
out of the Allen MDS Expander goes into one of the four audio channels of a
Roland
audio mixer.  The MIDI B buttons on the Swell, Choir, and Pedal control the
Kurzweil
K2600.  The audio out of the Kurzweil goes to another audio input on the Roland
mixer.  The output of the Roland mixer goes to the audio in jack on the organ.
  If I want to use the Compaq computer MIDI capability I usually disconnect the
Kurzweil and plug the MIDI cable from the computer into the MIDI
chain.   The Yamaha
Clavinova piano is played from the Great manual using the MIDI B button on
the Great.
I let the Clavinova use its own audio for the sounds I have selected from
its MIDI internal
sounds (piano, vibes, harp, celesta, etc) since they sound better direct rather
than having them processed through the Rodgers RSS audio chain.  Of course one
must set up the MIDI devices to use the correct channel that matches the
channel
numbers that the organ uses.  For example, the MIDI A button on the Great
is channel 1, the
MIDI B button is channel 5; the MIDI A button on the Swell is channel 2,
the MIDI B
button channel 6, etc.  The Rodgers manual for your organ has the channel
allocations
listed.

If the above is not clear, and if you would like to discuss any aspect of MIDI,
I will do my best to answer.  I am not a "genuine expert" on MIDI !!!!

Sincerely,

Jack Cormack
Potomac, Maryland