[rodgersorganusers] Re: Pleasing folks

  • From: Cbtsubdallas@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:48:36 EST

I play for and direct four masses each weekend, three of which are
"traditional" in musical style, meaning organ, cantor/choir, and traditional
highbrow
music.  The fourth weekend mass is, three of four Sundays a month, a mix of
traditional and contemporary musical styles and includes a small orchestra,
choir,
and myself at the organ or piano.  On the fourth Sunday of the month I pretty
much keep myself out of it and allow them to have a "guitar mass" with more
contemporary music.  For this mass I play a a very low key role, usually
singing, playing percussion, or sometimes directing; however, I usually leave
directing and music selection to the "orchestra leader" for that particular
mass.
This approach seems to quell the those who say that my musical choices are
too fuddy-duddy and allows musical creativity in a more contemporary medium.
When I first arrived at the parish I tried to run a traditional/high church
music program; however, I've learned there must be diversity in a parish in
order
to achieve harmony.
:-)

Just my observations,

Allen Johns
Dallas

If you have any difficulty with this or PayPal,
please contact noeljones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for help!