[rodgersorganusers] Pleasing folks

  • From: "ronnie johnston" <rjohnston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:21:36 -0700

This is an area that I have a real problem with & I have a hard time deciding
what is the best answer.  My church has two services on Sunday morning, one
contemporary in which I play (reluctantly) a couple of keyboards joined by
piano, guitars, drums etc.   Some of the contemporary choruses that we do have
a wonderful message and a very pleasing melody, and I can see from my vantage
point that lots of people in the congregation are participating in worship.
However, many of the others are just not pleasing to the ear, and the rhythms
and melodies are too difficult for the congregation to participate.  I do not
believe that many of these will stand the "test of time," and if we, as worship
leaders, cannot encourage our congregation to participate in worship of our
Creator, then are we really doing what God has called us to do?  In the
traditional service where I am playing the organ and using music that means
something to the vast majority of the congregation, I feel more like I am an
aid to worship.  What's the right answer to this question?  I don't know the
answer, but for myself, I want to accomplish two things:  play for an audience
of ONE, and endeavor to help my congregation worship that audience of ONE.  I
can only pray for ministers of music that emphasize one particular style, and
not let them forget the hymnology that has meant so much to so many people over
the years.
Ronnie Johnston
If you have any difficulty with this or PayPal,
please contact noeljones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for help!