[rodgersorgan] Re: Good organs, badly installed.

  • From: WmMTexas@xxxxxxx
  • To: rodgersorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:39:01 EDT

Hello Noel, and also Jean.
I am a new member of this group, and wanted to quickly introduce myself, as
well as make a comment.
For 23 1/2 years I worked as a salesman with the Rodgers Dallas dealer.
Working for the same man for those many years meant I must have been doing
something correct.  So, as a saleman I would also closely be involved with
every installation, the balancing/voicing of the instrument, and yes, kept a
close follow-up with the organist/music director.  The majority of my sales
came from "referrals", either an organist, music director, minister, or
someone who knew of my sincere desire to help every church obtain an
instrument to help their music ministry, no matter what size of Rodgers they
bought.
Back in the earlier years I drove the Rodgers factory crazy, asking for
things to be changed, or for an instrument they had never built.  Anyone
remember the first of the 350's (pipe/electronic)?  I had one church that
heard one, wanted it, but simply could not afford the pipes.  So I asked
Rodgers to build one exactly like it, but with all electronic's.  Hence, the
905 was born.  Several of my sales and installations have been featured in
the literature from Rodgers.  Such as, First Presbyterian Church, Lufkin,
Texas; and also Brentwood Baptist Church, Houston, Texas.
Now, I must agree with Jean's comments.  Too many organs are installed in
church's with the theory of "sell it, plug it in, where's my money, and bye".
 That is definitely NOT the way to assist any church, anywhere, and will NOT
get you return business!
My "first" sale was a Rodgers 75 self-contained.  That church recently built
a new sanctuary, and yes, they bought another Rodgers. This is a
"country-type" church which grows in members slowly.  My dealer, myself, and
our technician would always make at least one yearly check with every church
in our sales.
After being an organ major in college I started working selling the Rodgers.
I knew absolutely nothing about selling, only knew that the Rodgers sounded
good at that time, but definitely knew my music and my work in the church.
From the age of about 12, I have always been a church organist.  Currently I
am semi-retired, living in Houston.  This coming June I will have been at my
current home church (First United Methodist, Katy, Texas) for 16 years.
Besides being church organist, I now work closely with Bill Ehrke (technician
from Irving, Texas), in doing "re-installations", exactly what Jean was
speaking!  I find it amazing how some salesmen and dealers (even today!) can,
and will sell an instrument and do nothing to it musically.  If anyone needs
an excellant voicer for either older or new installations, I am available!
With all of the advances Rodgers has made throughout the years, the
possibility of making music is unlimited.  I find it a wonderful challenge
experimenting with registrations, and helping organists.  It is also amazing
how many "organists" have no idea what they are doing!
Concerning traditional, contemporary, blended worship, well.....I guess there
is a place for each of these, "IF" they all minister to the people. For
myself, I prefer the traditional, and once in a while some contemporary.  I
do wish (and am very concerned) about the fact that many members in our
churches will not express their own personal feelings about the music in our
churches today.  They need to make their thoughts known to whoever in their
church.
I'm sorry about chatting so much here, but this "is" my first communication
with you folks (as we say in Texas).  I have only sold Rodgers throughout my
life, and am still a die-hard Rodgers fan!!!  They should have me on their
payroll...!!!!
If I can assist anyone with questions, information, or re-installations,
please feel free to contact me at "WmMTexas@xxxxxxx".
Am definitely enjoying reading everyone's thought with this group!
William (Bill) Morris
Houston, Texas
New low pricing on books and music for the Rodgers Organ at www.frogmusic.com