[roc-chat] Re: sustainer airstart: 2 igniters in parallel or 2 separate igniter events/pyro channels?

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 14:11:38 -0700

On 5/14/2018 1:44 PM, Mike Riss (Redacted sender rockt_dude for DMARC) wrote:

"What I have done is use a single igniter, taped to a thin dowel (to keep it at the top of the motor)."

The igniter not being in the right place to light the motor probably factors in a lot.  Unlike in a motor that's lit on the ground, the igniter in the 2nd stage is subjected to the g's of the 1st stage motor burn.

Mike

Ya know, it wasn't until my second reading of that sentence that the significance of it really hit me.  That's actually a really important insight -- I'll keep that in mind for future staged high-power flights!

David Erbas-White