[roc-chat] sustainer airstart: 2 igniters in parallel or 2 separate igniter events/pyro channels?

  • From: Terry McKiernan <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 11:08:28 -0700

I have another question about my 2-stage rocket project that I hope some experienced people can help me with.  This is separate from the 3D coupler / rail buttons thing, and from the PET2+ vs. altimeter safety question, so I figured I should start a new thread.

For the airstart of the sustainer, it seems that ignition failures are a common problem -- after all, consider how many times we burn an igniter in a rocket on the pad.  They just don't work 100% of the time.  So, what can be done to make this more reliable or provide some redundancy?

The obvious solution seems to be to have multiple igniters, so if the first one fails the second one might get the sustainer started.  My question is, what's the best way to wire this up?

Option 1: Use 2 separate pyro channels on the altimeter, with separate wires connecting to the igniters.  Set the channels to fire, say, 0.5 second apart so that the rocket is still coasting upwards when the second igniter fires.  Pro: complete redudancy. Con: more complex wiring & altimeter setup, and if the first igniter burns out, it might take out the 2nd igniter with it.

Option 2: Use only 1 pyro channel. Put both igniters on the same channel, wired in parallel, so they both ignite at the same time. We'll call this the "big bang" approach :).  Pro: simpler wiring and altimeter setup.  Con: less redundancy (igniters but not channels); single pyro channel is a single point of failure.

Option 3: ???

Any advice?

Also I read that it's a good idea to rough up the sustainer grains to make them more likely to ignite.  Is that true?

I even saw someone saying to spread some Pyrogen on top of the sustainer grains.  I feel unsure about that (and I don't have any Pyrogen anyway).  Seems like that could cause an explosion, like black power, rather than a controller burn.  Is this is valid / recommended idea?

Thanks!

Terry McKiernan