[roc-chat] Re: Punisher Drag Race and Discussion of Thrust Misalignment

  • From: Chris J Kobel <Chris.J.Kobel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 07:02:22 -0700

For those who are interested, here's the test stand contraption we put
together to measure axial as well as off-axis forces in pitch, yaw, and
roll.
(yes, that's a Copperhead sticking out of the motor!)

Chris

From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date: 06/17/2015 01:10 PM
Subject: [roc-chat] Punisher Drag Race and Discussion of Thrust
Misalignment
Sent by: roc-chat-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I’m sure we can come up with things to investigate and even reduce this
misalignment problem.

Who’s interested in a Punisher 2 mass launch? I think we should use the
same K1440 engine and leave it up to each flyer if they are going to
modify the rail buttons, pad, whatever else. We have lots of time to
collect details on each project.

Chris, would it be possible to post some details of the AC stand used to
test for misalignments?

Do you think that creating a way to hold the rocket on the pad until max
thrust is achieved would help?

I’m wondering why David Reese has not joined this discussion because
wouldn’t he be one of the best people to advise on something like this?

Again, I think building a large launch pad/test stand for ROC launches
would be cool and we probably wouldn’t need the contribution of many
people to do it. We could use the pad at Black Rock for XPRS or BALLS.
Again, I’m offering to buy the trailer for the project.

Richard Dierking

GIF image

GIF image