[roc-chat] Re: Next L3 rocket question

  • From: David Erbas-White <derbas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 21:42:01 -0800

On 12/30/2018 6:46 PM, David P Smith (Redacted sender dave_w6dps for DMARC) wrote:

I may be mis-understanding something here - I thought the picture is of a 'forged' eyebolt, that is one piece, without a break, and that is the 'good' kind.

I thought the 'bad' kind of eyebolt (the one the appears bent into shape with a gap and no welding) is a 'formed' eyebolt.

Is my nomenclature messed up?  Or are there multiple names for the 'eyebolt with no gap' vs. 'eyebolt with a slight gap where the end comes as close as it can to the bend'?

David Erbas-White

P.S. Thanks to all in this thread for responding, all responses are being taken into account.

I don't think we can overemphasize that the eyebolt it likely the weakest part of the hardware system.

A well made lift rated eyebolt for 1/4-20 is usually rated at 400 to 500 pounds working load.

Forged eyebolts, the ones that are bend into shape and not welded shut, are usually rated very low or have no WL rating.

Eyebolt, 1/4-20, 3/4In, With Shoulder <https://www.grainger.com/product/35Z445?cm_mmc=PPC:+MSN+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!10!8973609753!1102900011972&ef_id=WxGnVAAAAHJ0Kmjc:20181231023428:s>

$3.30

    Eyebolt, 1/4-20, 3/4In, With Shoulder

Eyebolt, 1/4-20, 3/4In, With Shoulder

<https://www.grainger.com/product/35Z445?cm_mmc=PPC:+MSN+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!10!8973609753!1102900011972&ef_id=WxGnVAAAAHJ0Kmjc:20181231023428:s>

David P Smith
NAR 78668, TRA 15803, L2
Amateur Extra, W6DPS

On ‎Sunday‎, ‎December‎ ‎30‎, ‎2018‎ ‎06‎:‎30‎:‎17‎ ‎PM‎ ‎PST, mnkramer.net <kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Forged Eyebolts are rated much lower, and cant handle much of a side load. *These are what fails not the male threads (unless they get bent to the side by the force).*

*...*

*Mike Kramer*