[roc-chat] Re: March Launch

  • From: Gregory Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 11:10:46 -0800

I’ll bet if we had a program where kids got free rocket prizes for turning in
used casings, igniters, nozzle plugs, etc. they would rapidly become an
endangered species!  (The trash, not the kids!)

             - Greg

> On Feb 17, 2015, at 11:03 AM, Kurt Gugisberg <kurtgug@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Not a bad idea Robert.  However, most people don't go back to the pad area to
> dump there motor casings.  The area around the pads is usually picked up
> anyway at the end of the day.  If we could get people to pick up igniter
> wires and motor casings that they see laying around, that would help.  They
> can take it back to their camps or stick it in their pockets.  Most people
> won't do that however.  We have found that the best way to keep the lake bed
> clean is to have everyone pick up and and pack out their own trash and pick
> up anything they see on the ground.   It is real easy to walk by stuff and
> think someone else will pick it up but if everyone did that the lake bed
> would be a mess.  So if everyone was conscious of the trash around them and
> picked up...problem solved.
>
> Kurt
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Robert Patrick Lees <rlees001@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:rlees001@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
> My dad had an Idea while we were at the launch that I think could be
> beneficial. We should attach a paint can or a coffee can to the low power
> launch stand and to the continuity box for the larger pads. That way, people
> have a place to put spent igniters, motor casings, etc. when they're setting
> up their rockets. It wont cost the club much, and people my littler less
> because the can will make it more convenient.
>
> I have some extra cans we can use if that's an issue, and to attach we only
> need to drill some holes in the can and use some tie-straps.

Gregory A. Lyzenga    <lyzenga@xxxxxxx <mailto:lyzenga@xxxxxxx>>
Dept. of Physics, Harvey Mudd College            (909) 621-8378
<tel:%28909%29%20621-8378>
Claremont, CA 91711-5990                       mobile (626) 808-5314
<tel:%28626%29%20808-5314>