[roc-chat] Re: Launch site.

  • From: Gregory Lyzenga <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 16:33:11 -0700

On May 9, 2012, at 3:19 PM, Chris J Kobel wrote:

> First of all, let me say how thankful I am for our amazing BOD, who have
> worked their fannies off to preserve our launch site, to enhance our
> equipment, and to greatly promote our opportunities to enjoy our hobby.  If
> you don't know who they are check out  http://rocstock.org/contact-us/  and
> be sure to thank them in person next time you see them.
>
> That said, let me say I usually dislike change, especially these days, when
> things typically get worse.  However, sometimes change is good or
> unavoidable, and we adapt and move on.
> I'm sure the BOD is already all over this and if this discussion is
> premature, please forgive me.
>
>  the range will be moved about 1000 feet south of its traditional location.
>
> I assume this is because where we've been launching is actually private land.
>  Shifting 1000' to the south would put us on Public Land.  No worries there,
> it's a big lakebed.
> My main concern is that the primary access road onto the lakebed will lead
> people right into the middle of the range.
>
> I guess my question is:  will people use the same road on to the lakebed and
> turn south earlier or will we establish a lake bed entrance further south or
> will we flip the range around somehow?  I don't think
> we can create "new" roads on the lakebed.

Hi Chris:
   Richard Dierking is actively working this issue, and the final word on it
should come from him.  But as I understand it, we will enter the lakebed at the
usual location, but partway in there is an existing turnoff marked with a post
where we will direct traffic south to the new site.  A combination of prominent
signs and people out on the route to direct cars away from the range should do
the trick (we hope).  Flipping the range around is not an option unless you
relish the thought of looking directly into the midday sun to track your
rockets.  Expect more detailed information as June draws nearer.

                          - Greg

Gregory A. Lyzenga  <lyzenga@xxxxxxx>           ***     (909) 621-8378
Dept. of Physics, Harvey Mudd College           *** cell(626) 808-5314
Claremont, CA 91711-5990                        *** fax (909) 621-8887
<http://tinyurl.com/LyzengaPhysics>