[roc-chat] Re: Lakebed Report

  • From: Jeff Gortatowsky <indanapt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 18:39:21 -0800 (PST)

So I only been going since 1997... so not an old timer like some of you...

IMO THE BEST launches at Lucerne have been calm Dec, Jan, Feb launches. No they
don't happen all that often but all of us tend to remember the misses and not
the hits. Beside we have PLENTY of launches other months that are winded out or
mostly winded out.

Same with November ROCStocks. The BEST (IMO) ROCStocks have always been
November ones. Again you all remember the worst because when its bad it is
colder and wetter than the blast furnace 60mph sandblaster dust up your crack
that is the normal June RocStock.

I did not read everything before going out there Saturday so I sort of missed
the weather brew ha ha. Personally I used to subscribe to Kevin's forecasts
when he did them as I've been pretty impressed with his forecasts for some
months. But no weather forecast(er) is perfect.

In any case. Whatever. It was a FANTASTIC launch and not showing up means you
miss out. And anyway Jack was running some decent deals (2 for 1 tubing!) so it
was worth the drive!

I am down for the Nike-Smoke thing. I am down for a mass purchase of a 4" or
5.5 if the price is right and we do it SOON because it takes me a bit to build.
Or I'll just bring the 2.6 I have (If it's still flyable by then).

Jeff

---------------------------------------
Jeff Gortatowsky, Redondo Beach, CA | Twitter: JeffGortatowsky | Yahoo:
indanapt

"(Scientific) Skepticism is not a set of beliefs, it is a set of methods for
asking questions about reality." -- Doctor Steven Novella

On Monday, January 13, 2014 8:08 AM, R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Kind of funny about all the weather talk this month.  I can't remember a warmer
and more calm launch in January for like 10 years.  Although it was blowing on
Saturday night when we all sleeping.  Sunday was also very nice launching
weather.

> Subject: [roc-chat] Re: Lakebed Report
> From: leescott91006@xxxxxxx
> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 19:27:30 -0800
> To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx; roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Well there has been a lot of talk about weather this weekend, mostly from a
> far. I am not sure about everyone else but I think most of the old timers
> know when it comes to the weather, who knows! I am not even close to
 being an old timer but if there is any pattern at all it is the winds are
normally calm in the morning and pick up in the afternoon.

> I think we are all into rocketry for different reasons. For me, it is to go
> out to the lakebed spend some time relaxing, cooking, spending some time
> around the campfire, laughing and telling a few stories and maybe launch a
> rocket! But most of all, it is to be able to get away from my job and
> personal problems for just a short period of time.
>
> So anytime you just want to relax, launch some rockets, laugh a little, eat
> some food, sit around a campfire, laugh, and then while on the lakebed
> looking at the rails so we can witness the weather as it happens come say
> hello!
>
> Lee Scott
> Cell 626-434-5810
>
> On Jan 12, 2014, at 6:38 PM, "R
 Dierking" <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > My weather reports are always 100% accurate!
> > I'm there in the middle of the lakebed and that makes it a little easier I
> > guess.
> > Well, maybe 99% accurate if I had a couple glasses of wine.
> >
> > Weather is really interesting but if you really want to have fun
> > forecasting, you should move to Kansas or another place that has many
> > tornados.  I'm originally from Neb, and that state had real cool weather.
> > Places like that really need accurate weather forecasts and these help to
> > save lives.  Anyway, just a suggestion.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > On Jan 12, 2014, at 2:09 PM, "Gregory Lyzenga" <lyzenga@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> The “W†situation yesterday was interesting, and definitely three
> >> dimensional.  The ground-level conditions were very mild, and even after
> >> the 2:00 pm shift, at ground level there was only occasional gusting
> >> noticeable.  I recall one period of about five or ten minutes when the
> >> surface winds seemed to be deteriorating.
> >>
> >> On the other hand, the winds aloft were pretty active, even early in the
> >> day.  I got some interesting data illustrating this from my GPS-equipped
> >> Nike Smoke.  On an I211, it flew straight up almost out of sight to 5564
> >> feet.  Then when the chute deployed it started heading east fast.  Here is
> >> the Google Earth view of the GPS track:
> >>

> >> It landed 1.5 miles from the launch site on the east side of Highway 247.
> >> As the track
 shows, it traveled east quite rapidly (about 20 mph) as long as it was above
1000 feet.  As soon as it dropped below 1000 ft., the wind dropped to basically
zero and it dropped straight down.  This flight happened at 19:14 UT, or in
other words at 11:14 am.  The moral of the story is that wind and weather are
complicated!  Don’t let weather forecasts discourage you from coming out to
launch!  The key is to be prepared for dynamic conditions.  Oh, and the other
moral of the story?  I love my Big Red Bee GPS! :-)

 Lee Scott wrote:

> [...]
 David Erbas-White

http://www.southerncaliforniaweatherauthority.com/2014/01/10/santa-ana-wind-watch-5/

> >> Greg Lyzenga
> >> ROC President - NAR #13295 / Tripoli #12088
> >>
> >> <Screenshot 2014-01-12 13.37.04.png>

 N(Z¶f¢–)à–+-®‡…«_­ç¥ŠËl¢¸!¶Úÿ0~·ž–+-²ŠàþX¬·úèqÈZ