[roc-chat] Re: Kids group build

  • From: Mike & Nancy Kramer <kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 21:02:29 -0700

David,

Have plenty of bottles of glue, helps speed up the build, i usually go for a bottle for every 5-6 kids.

I recommend Tightbond 2 glue, fast tack and sets quickly.

Mike Kramer

P.S. i do agree with Richard, Balsa fins re going to be VERY tough for kids that age.

On 10/4/2012 12:35 PM, David Baldy in wrote:
Hi Richard

Well I have already purchased 37 kits. I am planning on drawing lines on the body tube to mark the fin locations and notch the motor tube to accept the motor retainer. Also I am planning on roping in all the parents to assist their kids.

What are your thoughts?

David Baldovin

On Oct 4, 2012, at 11:33, Richard Dierking <richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Estes #2056 Patriot? I conducted workshops building these with the Girl Scouts and some at Sally Ride Science Festivals. My opinion: this kit is too difficult for 6 year olds. The balsa fins have to be glued on. An easy to build rocket that has a plastic fin can would be better. Please don't get my wrong, the Patriot is an excellent rocket kit, just better if the kids are 12+ years old. If you are set on this rocket, please let me know, I can offer you some good tips for the build meeting.
Richard
On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM, David Baldy in <flyrockets.baldovin@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:flyrockets.baldovin@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hello ROC

    I am hosting a group build with six year olds. This started out
    as a small build with my boy and some of his friends. Now I have
    about 35 builders. The kit I selected is the Estes M-104 Patriot.
    I am hoping that some of you experienced group builders can offer
    me a few tips or lessons learned. Some of my questions are how
    much space is needed per builder and how many kids per instructor.

    Thank you,

    David Baldovin
    714-612-9069 <tel:714-612-9069>