[roc-chat] Re: I will bring heatshrink!

  • From: Richard Dierking <richard.dierking@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 16:02:33 -0700

Currently, we are investing time and money in maintaining the launch
control cables with consideration of how long the existing cables will last
and if a wireless system may be more efficient in the future.  These cables
were not cheap, and the idea is not to jump head first into anything.  For
example, because of the safe distances involved, the back row and far pads
(when they are used) have the longest cables.  The cables add significantly
to the weight of the trailer and take time to deploy and connect to the
control boxes.  We also seem to be loosing the expertise to maintain the
cable connectors with the pins.  So, we should consider the possibility of
using a wireless system for the back and remote pads.  Some of the things
being discussed are things like; Could the existing launch control panel
and boxes be used in with a wireless connection?  Does the present state of
technology assure that a wireless system would be safe?  How much would
such a system cost?  Based on this estimate, should we budget for this
future expense?  So, hopefully everyone understands what the thinking is on
this matter.

Fortunately, ROC has members that have knowledge and skills that would
apply to this project and we encourage them to get involved.

Richard Dierking