[roc-chat] Re: Gary Moratz

  • From: R Dierking <applerocketry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 14:19:56 -0700

I've started to type this a couple of times over the last couple of days, but
couldn't continue.  I guess like many people, I'm so surprised to hear this
news, that I really still don't know exactly what to say.  I know that some
people like me are not good with names, so I've attached a photo of Gary taken
from Facebook.  Perhaps people that didn't know Gary well will recall him
taking photos at launches.

Gary was a young man, at least relative to us old guys.  This is one of the
reasons this news came as a shock.  We've lost several people since I started
hanging out with ROC.  All nice people and seems like way too many.

Gary was a remarkable photographer with a signature smile.  I can't get the
image of Gary smiling behind the camera out of my mind.  I guess that's OK.  He
was the kind of person that would drop what ever he was doing to help someone.
On several occasions, I saw him lay his expensive camera down on the lakebed to
help someone load a rocket.  Just one example of what kind of person Gary was.
He was a real cool guy.

Richard