[roc-chat] E-bay machine screw ?

  • From: John Howard <John.Howard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <roc-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 08:47:30 -0700

Hi All,

I've been a ROC member for a couple years and lurking on roc-chat for about the
same. I am finishing a 4” fiberglass Madcow Nike Smoke for NSL/ ROCstock and
have a hardware question.

The Nike is one of two L2 rockets I am bringing with the hope of dong my L2
Cert flight. I have split the airframe in half and added an electronics bay
built from a fiberglass coupler tube. I am hoping to connect it all together
with machine screws. To load the ejection charge, I’ll unscrew the upper
airframe, load them, then re-attach. The charge will eject the parachute out
with the nosecone. Everything is built and ready to paint. I have drilled 8
pilot holes to mount the coupler tube to the bottom half, and four for the
upper half.

Do you think 4-40 machine screws will be strong enough, or should I use 6-32?

Looking on the web, it looks like 4-40 screws would have enough strength, plus
there will be 8 on the bottom screwed into standoffs/nuts. I could also epoxy
the E-bay in, but I also have a open coupler tube with the same pilot holes so
I could launch the rocket with a motor and motor ejection charge.  The “keep it
simple stupid” version.

Thanks ahead of time, and see you in two weeks!

John Howard

Sent from my iThing