[riseholmebees] Re: Happy New Year

  • From: "Ben Crabb" <bcrabb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <riseholmebees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:49:01 -0000

Hi everyone,

Happy new Year to you all and hopefully a prospective honey filled one!
It has been good recieveing the emails over the christmas period and it
was nice to know that Vanessa found out whatthe bit of wood was for (I
had no idea either!!) It is also good to see that some of you are still
getting stung lol

The bees here are ok, but the cold has been a concern with some very
cold temperatures recorded here at Riseholme (-7 was the lowest one
night), I expect some of you can beat that considering how bad the
weather has been. Hopefully though the bees have survived, on giving the
hives a tap a nice gentle hum has been heard so fingers, toes and
anything else crossed so they come through to the spring. Unfortunately
due to the low air temperatures I have been unsuccessful in being able
to administer any oxalic acid to the three chosen hives, I am now
planning to do this at the end of the year before this coming christmas
so as not knock the bees too much.

If anyone is interested I am giving a talk on Wednesday night at
Bracebridge heath on the 'Riseholme bee project' and it was nice to see
that Jane and Dave had sent an email around about that. There are a few
days coming up for training here at Riseholme free of charge that wil be
run by myself through Lincoln District Bee Keepers, there will also be
some chance to see hive inspections with the national bee inspector,
Andy Wattham. I will send these dates out in the next few days.

Look forward to hearing from you all to see how you are getting on, and
once again, if you have any questions or want some advice etc, please
dont hesitate to contact me.

Regards

ben

GIF image