[riscos-printing] Re: Postscript

  • From: Ron <Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: riscos-printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 23:01:51 +1300

In message <9042c8ad4e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> In message <535b9ea84e.Printing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Ron <Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Ok, leaving the spritedevice ticked, I did some more tests, this time
> > saving the Gview result sprite and viewing it in PrivateEye to get
> > details. This could turn out to be a lot of waffle after the cause of
> > the problem is found but here it is.
>
> Many thanks, I can reproduce the problem now. I must have made a
> mistake when trying it earlier.

Glad to hear that, my Iyonix has always been free of problems.
> > Using the Gview xxx% instead of xxxdpi gave
> > 100%                        200%                         300%
> > 3,130,812 bytes             12,520,600 byte **           884,036 bytes
> > 744 x 1052                  1487 x 2105                  2,231 x 3157
> > 90 x 90                     90 x 90                      90 x 90
> > 8.26 x 11.68 inches         16.52 x 23.38 inches         24.78 x 35.07
> > 32 bpp                      32 bpp                       1 bpp
>
> Yes, this is what I see here, too. To be precise: 185 dpi still works
> while 186 dpi does not. Ghostscript appears to switch down to 1bpp
> mode starting from 186dpi, most probably due to some internal limit.
> This seems to happen with the sprite device only, it works fine with
> the pcx/ppm devices GView uses when the "Use sprite device" option is
> disabled.

I happened to be 186 and 187dpi today, but I have had 132dpi do it.
> > Without using the calculator, it looks like it gets to a point and drops
> > to 1 bpp. It may be maxing out at about 12-13 Mb
>
> Yes, though I doubt that the overall size has anything to do with it.
> There is nothing special with the values 13,229,080 (works) and
> 13,372,072 (no longer works). The only "magic" number I can see is
> that the size of a pixel row is below 6k (6144 bytes) for 185 dpi
> (1529 pixels across, i.e., 6116 bytes) and just exceeds it for 186dpi
> (1537 pixels across, i.e., 6148 bytes).
<snip some handy to know stuff>
> Martin

Today I saved a small jpeg from Linux Gimp 2.2. The resulting .ps was
only 1.4Mb but I still got the same bad results in Gview. I was about to
draw the conclusion that it didn't matter what the origin of the .ps was
and that it would fail. Then I dropped the same jpeg into Draw and
printed to file using the RiscOS Postscript2 and Gview displays it at
300dpi 32bpp no problem at all. Same from DplngScan except the colour
box had to be ticked in the Postscript2 config to output colour.
OK with full page sprites too. So maybe it's not badly broken.
At the  moment, to me it looks like something in a Gimp .ps that sends
it off.

Cheers -Ron