[rhillsqd] Digital Compass Question

  • From: Paul Shepherd <shepherd@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rhillsqd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:28:44 -0400

Hello,
Thanks to keith for signing the current crop of students up to the rhill forum.

I did have a question about digital compasses after last evening's
course.  I have only a simple hand-bearing compass, so am not familiar with
the digital units.

Do the digital units correct for deviation/variation - essentially giving
you a "true north" compass??

Seems to me that it wouldn't be that difficult to "program" the digital
compass with your own deviation table, and variation could either be
determined by entering it with buttons, or by using a GPS interface - the
compass could determine the variation from your lat/long and some look-up
tables.

So, my question is - is that how most of the digital compasses work?  or do
they just give the same information as a conventional compass with the
added benefit of a digital display.

Thanks for your time, .... Paul Shepherd

Paul Shepherd, Software and Systems Design
Grant Systems Engineering
Tel: 905-833-0061 Fax: 905-833-0090
Email: shepherd@xxxxxxxx http://www.grant.ca

     List Home page